Misconceptions about hypnosis buzz around like bees swarming a hive. Most people's only exposure to hypnosis has been through TV, Film and Stage Shows, which leaves them fearing they're going to be turned into a quacking duck or worse.
The truth is we're hypnotized every day of our lives.
- When you've driven home and don't remember turning onto your street--you were in hypnosis.
- When you've found yourself accidentally watching commercials instead of just fast-forwarding on your Tivo--you were in hypnosis.
- Every time you've fallen asleep, drifting from consciousness to dreamland--that's right, you were in hypnosis.
Our subconscious runs the show whenever the thinking part of our brain is preoccupied. Perhaps you've heard the phrase, "going on autopilot." That's why, despite our will power and best intentions, we still unknowingly reach for that cigarette or cupcake.
Hypnosis is nothing to be afraid of. It's simply a tool to get the subconscious mind, that 88% of our brain, to work with the other 12%, the conscious mind. The hypnotherapist merely creates a pathway to that hidden realm to alter your programming. Most of that programming occurred when we were little kids and is outdated. Why on earth should we still be afraid of spiders just because one crept across our curtain when we were eight years old?!
Wouldn't you agree that it's time to bring out the best "you" there is? The "you" you've always knew was there but had difficulty accessing at times.
So let's put some myths to bed:
- You do not fall asleep during hypnosis. (in fact, you become more aware and alert)
- You cannot be made to do something that goes against your morals.
- You will not quack like a duck (unless you have an audition for a kid's show).
But don't just take it from me. Research "Hypnosis" on credible sites like Harvard.com, NYTimes.com, etc.
Lasting change is simply a phone call away. You may find your inner call for change grows stronger and stronger each day. But that, of course, is for you and your subconscious to decide.